Roberto Suárez Candel, Head of Strategy & Media Intelligence, European Broadcasting Union – EBU shared a vision for the future PSM leadership at Public Broadcasting International on 10 September 2019. He focused on purpose. The purpose creates both strategy of, and narrative about, public service media:
THE FUTURE OF PSM AS A VALUE PROVIDER
Key failure factors
- => Missed opportunities
- => Not adapting quickly enough to changes
What is working
- Active outward-looking
- Listen to stakeholders
- Information meets purpose => creating value for society <= your purpose!
Socially impactful organizations
- Perceived as more relevant
- Stronger political and economic support
- Appeal for better employees
- Get strategic partners (that are needed)
Value depends on the needs of the people who might need you. Know your audiences. Be proactive with stakeholders. A way to think about value:
- 5 key problems in your country?
- How do you tackle them in your content/services?
- In what way can you be a part of a solution?
PSM organizations need to transform from content providers to value providers.